Saturday, October 9, 2010

Dewey's Read-a-Thon: Update #1

I'll start off with the Hour 1 meme from the Read-a-Thon blog:

Where are you reading from today?
Kate and I are doing most of our reading on our comfy couches in our living room, in Ontario, Canada!

3 facts about me …
I knit ... a lot. I've also posted some free designs on Ravelry here.
I used to play Scrabble competitively.
I make lists compulsively.

... and 3 facts about Kate ...
She plays violin, piano and guitar.
Her favourite food is Nutella.
Her favourite colour is purple.

How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours?
Way too many. I have about 10 novels to choose from, though I expect to get through only a few of them. Kate has a stack of books for her research projects and another 5 or 6 fun books to choose from.

Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)?
Last year, I managed 9.5 hours. I'll be happy if I can exceed that number this year. I also hope to visit all the blogs on my cheerleading list. Kate's goal is to finish her reading for her research projects.

Advice for those new to read-a-thons.
Alternate between heavy and light reading. Listen to audiobooks when your eyes get tired or when doing housework (though it is better to avoid housework altogether if you can).

Current progress:
I've read for an hour-and-a-half and I'm almost 100 pages into Under This Unbroken Sky. Kate has read for an hour. She is reading (and making notes on) Alexander the Great by Penny Worms and she has started The Borrowers.

6 comments:

  1. (Non)traditional Buddhist readathon blessing:

    Just as the books fill the shelves,
    Pile together on the floor and stack up on the table
    So may the joy of the readathon
    Flow forth to brighten your day and lift your spirit.
    Books already read, books in progress and books yet to be read.

    By the power of every word on the page
    May your book be delightful,
    As scary as Lovecraft’s Cthulhu
    Or as sweet as a box of See’s candy.

    Let the power of the images evoked by words
    Keep you stay awake long through the night
    May no obstacle impede
    Your day filled with books.

    For all of those who are reading today
    Who follow in the path of Dewey
    May your day be filled with the four blessings
    Of fabulous books, tasty snacks, comfy chairs and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read, Read, Read because it’s a need! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'm a compulsive list-maker and a Nutella lover, too! Good luck with your goals in the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beware the comfy couches later in the day! They may be the cause of unexpected naps. ;)
    Good luck with the readathon. I hope you both have a great day.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Competitive Scrabble!?!?!?! That is sooo awesome!

    One, Two, Three, Four
    Get one done and read some more
    Five, Six, Seven, Eight
    Reading so much, can't see straight
    Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve
    Pick another up off the shelf!
    Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not so good at clever cheers - just keep on reading, and we'll be here (to keep you motivated - yeah!)

    Excellent Readathon tips.

    Happy Readathon - good luck, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete