Saturday, June 9, 2012

48-Hour Book Challenge -- Update #2


My update:
Hours of reading: 5
Hours of listening to an audiobook: 1.5
Books finished: 2
Books in progress: 1

Kate's update:
Hours of reading: 8
Books finished: 2
Books in progress: 1

We've had a busy day, as Kate had several musical activities (a concert, a volunteer performance and a lesson) and I was, as usual, the chauffeur.  However, as it was my birthday today, my wonderful husband prepared an exceptional dinner while I got to relax on the couch and read.

Despite all the activities, Kate managed to finish The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore and has now started on the classic Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. I finished I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder and am halfway through Storm Thief by Chris Wooding.

I Heart You, You Haunt Me is a novel written entirely in verse. For that reason, it is a very short book and quick to read, but the author packs a lot in her carefully chosen words. The verses convey the thoughts of a 15-year-old girl whose boyfriend has recently died, partly as a result of a foolish dare that she had proposed. The boyfriend's ghost then returns to haunt her, as she tries to cope with her grief and feelings of guilt. The novel is quite touching and is worth reading if only for its interesting format.

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to read this one. I don't gravitate toward novels in verse, but I like the premise of the story. I'm glad it was good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great reading you two are doing! Thank you for your pledge to RIF, we are most appreciative! I'm certainly enjoying this time I have allowed myself to purely read what I want to read, not what I have to read. And a belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete