Friday, June 8, 2012

48-Hour Book Challenge -- Update #1

My update:
Hours of reading: 2
Hours of listening to an audiobook: 1
Books finished: 1
Books in progress: 1

Kate's update:
Hours of reading: 4
Books finished: 1
Books in progress: 1

Kate had said she would not have much time for the reading challenge this weekend, but I knew better. Once she started I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore, she read mostly non-stop for 3.5 hours and has now started the sequel, The Power of Six. I forced her to take a break for supper, as the library would not have wanted its book back with spaghetti sauce splattered on the pages. As you can guess, she enjoyed the book very much and promises to write more about it herself later on.

I did pretty well myself, having finished Puppet by Eva Wiseman. This is a young-adult historical novel about a teenage girl Julie living in Hungary in 1882. When a number of Jews in her village are falsely accused of murdering her friend Esther, she realizes that she cannot turn a blind eye to the injustices perpetrated by those around her. This was a well-paced, gripping read but one that was quite bleak and disturbing.

I also spent an hour listening to Holes by Louis Sachar on audiobook while doing the unavoidable household chores. All in all, it was a good evening of reading. I am also thrilled that my sister-in-law Jill and my nephews will be reading along with us!

1 comment:

  1. Well done! I used to be like Kate (I wish I still was) where you just read non-stop for several hours. I remember sitting in my room one beautiful summer day reading "I know what you did last summer" and not being able to put it down. This is before it was a cheesy movie.

    ReplyDelete